Re: Repeatable 2.4.0-test13-pre4 nfsd Oops rears it head again

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 05:42:10 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I bet that others will have other recommendations, but so far I have at
> least personally had good luck with the eepro100.

The 3c905C is a well manufactured and very feature-rich NIC which at
present appears to have fewer problem reports than eepro100, 8139 or tulip.

Available in PCI, Cardbus, Mini-PCI. A dual-interface PCI version has
just been released (3c982), although we've yet to hear of anyone trying
it with Linux.

3com provide full specs without any NDA restrictions, plus a GPL'ed
driver.

Perhaps most significantly, the 905 has full scatter/gather support.
This isn't used at present, but Alexey's zerocopy-sendfile patches
do utilise it. He currently has scatter-gather support for acenic,
3c905 and sunhme. I don't know what the plans are to support other
100 mbps NICs.

The in-kernel 3c59x.c isn't the world's fastest driver. On the todo list
for 2.5 is MMIO support, scatter-gather maintenance, optional use of DPD
polling and implementation of the onboard multicast hash filter. And
implementation of the on-board VLAN support if 2.5 becomes VLAN-capable.