Re: linux 2.2.19pre and thttpd (VM-global problem?)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 14:43:33 EST

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 11:29:12AM -0800, Matt Liotta wrote:
> as such doesn't scale well with Linux 2.2 on a dual CPU machine. Our
> benchmarks show that we can handle more load on a single CPU machine then a
> dual CPU one with Linux 2.2. However, it is encouraging to see that the

If for whatever reason you can't use 2.4.x on it right now, in 2.2.19pre3aa4
there's an hack to do tcp_sendmsg checksum and all the copy_user (copies
between pagecache and userspace) with the big kernel lock released (so that it
can scale better in SMP). That's ugly but people on this list asked for this
feature and since it was very fast to implement it I added it. But don't expect
anything like 2.4.x SMP scalability!

Andrea