Re: 2.2.18 dies on my 486..

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@opensourceadvocate.org)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 21:15:24 EST

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Andreas Dilger wrote:

>Mike Harris writes:
>> I just upgraded my 486 firewall's kernel to pure 2.2.18 from
>> 2.2.17, with no other changes, and now it dies with all sorts
>> of hard disk failures.
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> hdb: lost interrupt
>>
>> And stuff about DRQ lost...
>
>Is it possible you compiled the kernel with gcc 2.95.2? I've been having
>a similar problem, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Absolutely not possible. ;o) Compiled with kgcc on Red Hat 7
(egcs 2.91.66). I've been building kernels with egcs since Red
Hat 5.0 was released, no problems.

I've never used gcc 2.95.x at all, so I can't comment on it at
all..

It seems my hard disk may be failing...

>Because I normally use a very heavily modified 2.2.18 kernel,
>I'm trying to isolate just where the problem is - I have no
>problems with a stock 2.2.18 kernel. If I compile with gcc
>2.7.2.3 it works fine.

Hmm.. must be a different problem than I'm having. I've tracked
my problem down to disk accesses to hdb. hda/hdc work fine, as
does the machine sitting idling doing its job. If I do a copy
from hdb to hdc it explodes. Very odd.. ;o(