[patch] remove usage of init_etherdev

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 09:39:46 EST

Alan,

I have just sent you the prepare/withdraw/publish_etherdev patch for the ethernet
devices. There's a copy (80kbytes) at

        http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/init_etherdev.patch

It was fairly clean and I don't expect much breakage at all from this.
I could only test the module and non-module error paths, but surely
this patch represents an aggregate bug reduction :)

eepro100.c and acenic.c should still be 2.2-compatible.

The patch includes some other xmas goodies, including:

- An update to 3c59x which allows it to support 3com's
  recently-released 3c905CX. This is a bit ugly, but it gets people up
  and running until I can get my hands on one of these things.

- Fixed locking and write barriers in natsemi.c, as discussed with Manfred.

- Fixed a fair number of unchecked kmallocs and error-path resource leaks.

- comx.c needs proc_get_inode(), so that has been exported.

- dmfe.c was allowing itself to be unloaded whilst remaining
  registered on the PCI device list. crash, crash.

- Several drivers were not declaring their module parms and were not
  loadable with recent modutils.

- Several drivers had incorrect module parm declarations are were not
  loadable with recent modutils.

- All affected drivers now use SET_MODULE_OWNER instead of MOD_INC/DEC.

- drivers/net/depca.c oopses on boot because egcs-1.1.2 is
  miscompiling strstr(). It's failing to honour the clobber on edi. I
  put a workaround in depca.c.

  A workaround in strstr is to force `ct' to be a memory operand, not
  a general operand. Shouldn't we do this? Or, even better, kill the
  asm strstr and use the one in lib/string.c?

I think aironet4500_card.c is missing some module refcount handling,
but I didn't address this.

I'll send you the rrunner.c patch (maybe Jes has already done so?).
Then if/when this stuff comes back to me I can do a final patch to
remove the now-unused init_etherdev, init_fcdev, init_hip_dev,
init_fddidev and init_trdev functions. Then we're done.

The CardServices drivers use a bare register_netdev() and I think they
have the same race. But that's orthogonal to the current work.

Thanks.

Affected files:

arch/ppc/8xx_io/enet.c
arch/ppc/8xx_io/fec.c