Another faulty motherboard

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski (g.liakhovetski@ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 18:11:43 EST

In ide-dma.c one reads:

 * Some people have reported trouble with Intel Zappa motherboards.
 * This can be fixed by upgrading the AMI BIOS to version 1.00.04.BS0,
 * available from ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/bios/10004bs0.exe
 * (thanks to Glen Morrell <glen@spin.Stanford.edu> for researching this).

Which suggests, that a faulty BIOS can cause problems with IDE
Bus-Mastering, that are impossible to fix (at present at least) otherwise
but by upgrading the BIOS. Then, I think, you can add one more problematic
board to the list - Intel Aladdin (in other sources Morrison64) aka
Advanced/AL and no BIOS upgrade, fixing the problem available (at least I
was not able to find one, the latest tested being 1.00.04.CA0). In
particular the problem is - impossible to turn IDE DMA on. At least this
is my current understanding.

At least I was unable to turn IDE DMA on with the help of many of the
net-folk. However, some tests suggested (although not 100%) that Win* was
able to do this...

Cheers
Guennadi
___