Re: About Celeron processor memory barrier problem

From: Jeffrey Rose (Jeffrey.Rose@t-online.de)
Date: Sun Dec 24 2000 - 04:45:14 EST

Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 09:21:51AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > A Celeron isn't a PIII, and you shouldn't tell the configure that it is.
>
> Well, some Celerons are. My laptop has a Celeron with a Coppermine
> core, so it is PIII based. Here is the output from /proc/cpuinfo:
>
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 8
> model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
> stepping : 1
> cpu MHz : 501.140
> cache size : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 2
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
> bogomips : 999.42

I also have a Celeron 600 in my Compaq 5000, but even with the output
below, I am not sure this is what Linus is talking about! I believe
Linus is trying to say, "We HAVE configurations set for that specific
architecture, so please USE them." However, I suppose you are saying you
will get better performance from selecting PIII due to this output? Let
me know ...

jrose$ cat /proc/info

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 598.064
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips : 1192.76

Cheers,

Jeff