tmscsim (DC390/AM53C974) SCSI driver 2.0f

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 21:58:13 EST

Hi Alan, Linus,

I'd like to sync my 2.0f version of the tmscsim (Tekram DC390/AM53C974)
Linux SCSI driver with both 2.2.19 and 2.4.0 mainstream kernels.

I did not sync with you more often, as I was always reported a problem or
finding one myself, when I was wanting to release the next version into the
kernel. And SCSI drivers are somewhat delicate ... so I decided to have all
open issues fixed, before submitting the driver to you.
(Same reason, why I don't ask for inclusion of the Tekram DC395 driver,
 which is also available from my web pages.)

I do believe it's time for submission now, as there is no open issue left.
Testers all reported success :-)

Unfortunately, I did not get around implementing the new SCSI error handling
in the driver. This is on my agenda though.

Bugs fixed / Features added:
* lots of cleanups: splitted sync nego handling in separate functions,
  tag handling, ...
* reset SYNC_NEGO_DONE after bus reset, so it's renegotiated
* removed copying of the CmdBlock
* don't retry timed out cmnds (broke scanners ... )
* dump special command (for debugging)
* return residual count for sg3 [2.4]
* pci_enable_device () [2.4]
* use dev_id for IRQ registering
* act correctly when INQUIRY is used for device scan [2.4]
* only negotiate sync, if INQUIRY reported the ability to do so
  (sigh, it should always work, but there are broken scanners and
   SCSI-1 devices out there)
* __setup (tmscsim=, dc390_setup) [2.4]
* allow cmd line parameters override SCSI Bios settings

I apologize for the diffs: There have been indenting changes, which make the
diffs hardly readable.
I'll send you diffs against 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-test12 in private mail.

Please apply!

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff                   <kurt@garloff.de>         [Eindhoven, NL]