Re: Startup IPI (was: Re: test13-pre3)

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 06:54:10 EST

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> /usr/bin/time says that program runs for 3.40 - 3.56secs, so after dividing

 Well, the test looks reasonable if the system load is low. Still the
performance is surprisingly low -- after changing the transfer width to 16
bits I ran the test on my dual P5MMX system equipped with an old ISA VGA
card and I achieved 10.74ms for VGA RAM accesses and 586.6us for uncached
main memory accesses.

> by 1000 I get 3.4ms... Maybe I should complain to VIA or to Matrox that
> it is piece of crap ?

 For VIA -- definitely. I don't think Matrox is at fault, though.

> My order was simple: no rambus memory, dual PIII at least on 800MHz
> and UDMA66. Yes, maybe I should buy ServerWorks instead of VIA, but
> I hoped...

 At least ServerWorks claims they are willing to cooperate with us
although results seem to be questionable so far...

  Maciej