Re: Installing kernel 2.4

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 18:59:34 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> > > Detecting the CPU isn't the issue (we already do all this), it's what to
> > > do when you've figured out what the CPU is. Show me code that can
> > > dynamically adjust the alignment of the routines/variables/structs
> > > dependant upon cacheline size.
>
> ftp.timpanogas.org/manos/manos0817.tar.gz
>
> Look in the PE loader -- Microsoft's PE loader can do this since
> everything is RVA based. If you want to take the loader and put it in
> Linux, be my guest. You can even combine mutiple i86 segments all
> compiled under different options (or architectures) and bundle them into
> a single executable file -- not somthing gcc can do today -- even with
> DLL. This code is almost identical to the PE loader used in NT -- with
> one exception, I omit the fs:_THREAD_DLS startup code...
>
> 8)
>
> Jeff
>

> > If the compiler always aligned all functions and data on 16 byte
> > boundries (NetWare)
> > for all i386 code, it would run a lot faster. Cache line alignment
> > could be an option in the loader .... after all, it's hte loader that
> > locates data in memory. If Linux were PE based, relocation logic would
> > be a snap with this model (like NT).

Also, init.386 has an x86 real mode PE loader as well that could easily
be used to load Linux as a DLL instead of a coff binary. Then you could
combine several executable segments of differing optimizations and
select the correct one at load time. I do this now. It's pretty easy
to do with PE ...

Jeff