Re: Poor TCP Performance 2.4.0-10 <-> Win98 SE PPP

From: Jordan Mendelson (jordy@napster.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 13:13:46 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 11:16:21PM -0800, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> > > It is clear though, that something is messing with or corrupting the
> > > packets. One thing you might try is turning off TCP header
> > > compression for the PPP link, does this make a difference?
> >
> > Actually, there has been several reports that turning header compression
> > does help.
>
> What does help ? Turning it on or turning it off ?

We had a good number of reports that turning PPP header compression off
helped. The windows 98 connection I was testing with it did have header
compression turned on. Unfortunatly, I can't just ask the entire windows
world to turn off header compression in order to use our software. :)

I believe we've reverted all of our machines to 2.2, so testing this any
further is going to be a problem.

Jordan