Re: Pentium 4 and 2.4/2.5

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 07:13:41 EST

> Not to worry, some of us are working with the 'I' guys to do proper P4
> detection.

Be careful with the intel patches. The ones I've seen so far tried to call the
cpu 'if86' breaking several tools that do cpu model checking off uname. They
didnt fix the 2GHz CPU limit, they use 'rep nop' in the locks which is
explicitly 'undefined behaviour' for non intel processors and they use the
TSC without checking it had one.

Hopefully they have improved since

Alan