removable EIDE disks

From: Joe Woodward (woodey@twasystems.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 06:12:00 EST

I am trying to use removable EIDE hard disks on a Red Hat Linux 6.1 machine, for backup / walknet purposes.

Issuing a BLKRRPART ioctl call immediately after changing the disk works, but only if the new disk is no larger than the disk present at boot time (smaller and equal capacity disks work OK).

How do I get Linux to recognise that the media in /dev/hdc has changed?

Bill Nottingham suggested that I ask you, as he is unsure if this is a bug or if there is a technique that I am missing.

Thanks

Richard Stanton

rich@twasystems.fsnet.co.uk