Re: Poor TCP Performance 2.4.0-10 <-> Win98 SE PPP

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 02:03:42 EST

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 10:03:05PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> The only thing I can do now is beg for a tcpdump from the windows95
> machine side. Do you have the facilities necessary to obtain this?
> This would prove that it is packet drop between the two systems, for
> whatever reason, that is causing this.

It looks very like to me like a poster child for the non timestamp
RTT update problem I just described on netdev. Linux always retransmits
too early and there is never a better RTT estimate which could fix it.

2.4's advertised windows also do not seem to cope with weird window
advertising strategy of windows (start with a small window and then
suddenly increase it). Linux's stays small.

-Andi