Re: Persistent module storage [was Linux 2.4 Status / TODO page]

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 19:27:03 EST

> changing settings. If I plug in a hotplug soundcard and load the driver, I do
> NOT want the driver to decide to set some settings. If I want settings set,
> I'll do it myself (or have a script to do it).

How about if your stuff is already nicely set up and you remove then replug
a device, or remove and swap for an identical replacement part. Most people then
want the configuration preserved.

And guess what the simple modutils solution using an ELF section solves that too
Want to go to default configuration ?

        rm /var/run/modules/eth0.data

or wrap it in a GUI.

[BTW windows gets the USB speaker state management right, seems they store all
the module persistent data in the registry!]