Re: [patch] NE2000

From: Andrew Morton (morton@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 17:32:59 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > No, that code is correct, provided (current->state == TASK_RUNNING)
> > on entry. If it isn't, there's a race window which can cause
> > lost wakeups. As a check you could add:
> >
> > if ((current->state & (TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE|TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE)) == 0)
> > BUG();
>
> Though it really cannot happen and really happens, as we have seen... 8)
>
> In any case, Andrew, where is the race, when we enter in sleeping state?
> Wakeup is not lost, it is just not required when we are not going
> to schedule and force task to running state.

        set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
        add_wait_queue(...);
        /* window here */
        set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
        schedule();

If there's a wakeup by another CPU (or this CPU in an interrupt) in
that window, current->state will get switched to TASK_RUNNING.

Then it's immediately overwritten and we go to sleep. Lost wakeup.

> I still do not see how it is possible that task runs in sleeping state.
> Apparently, set_current_state is forgotten somewhere. Do you see, where? 8)

Nope. Is Jorge running SMP?