Re: Persistent module storage [was Linux 2.4 Status / TODO page]

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 12:44:08 EST

jas88@cam.ac.uk said:
> Except this isn't possible with the hardware in question! If it were,
> there would be no problem. In cases where the hardware doesn't support
> the functionality userspace "needs", why put the kludge in the kernel?

> If userspace wants to know what settings it set last time, it should
> store those values somewhere.

No. You have to reset the hardware fully each time you load the module.
Although you _expect_ it to be in the state in which you left it, you can't
be sure of that.

jas88@cam.ac.uk said:
> Eh? You just load the driver once, probably on boot, to configure sane
> values. This time round, you use an argument (or an ioctl or whatever)
> to specify the values you want. (cat /etc/sysconfig/sound/
> defaultvolume > /dev/sound/mixer or whatever). After that, the module
> can be unloaded and loaded as needed, without any need to touch the
> mixer settings except in response to *explicit* "set volume" commands
> from userspace.

Agreed. Where 'whatever' == persistent storage of some form. I care not
what form that takes. If you can store the data entirely in userspace and
still have them present at the time the driver initialises the hardware,
that's fine.

--
dwmw2