Kernel hook for open

From: Catalin BOIE (util@deuroconsult.ro)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 08:55:41 EST

Hi, guys!

I wish to know if there is something like a kernel hook for open function.
I want to monitor a file (someting like watchdog on Solaris) and to read
from my own process (module?) and from the file.

I tried with LD_SO_PRELOAD but it haven't any effect on the so libraries.
For example:
If I use function getpwent (that is in a so library) and my home
made .so library that overwrite "open" function and is in
/etc/ld.so.preload file it doesn't work.
Of course, if I use open ("/etc/hosts") the so library execute my
function.

If it doesn't exist will be nice to have something like this.

Thanks in advance!

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE
catab@deuroconsult.ro