Re: i82808 hardware hub RNG

From: Robert M. Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 12:48:24 EST

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Heusden, Folkert van hissed:
> I wrote a daemon that fetches (as root-user) random numbers from the RNG in
> the i82808 (found on 815-chipsets).
> You can download it from http://www.vanheusden.com/Linux/random.php3 .
> Currently, I'm trying to rewrite things into a kernel-module so that one has
> a standard character device which can deliver random values then.
> Please give it a try as I do not own a PC with such a motherboard ;-/

a driver for this already exists in 2.4 and was recently back-ported to
2.2. it works on i810, i815, and i820. it features a char device for
grabbing entropy and a timer device to inject the entropy directly into
/dev/random.

Jeff Garzik wrote it.

i am using it in 2.4 on my i815.

--