Re: 2.4.0-test10 Sluggish After Load

From: matthew (matthew@mattshouse.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 11:22:22 EST

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > > Of course, this also depends on the amount of people willing
> > > to test out new VM patches and/or help with development.
> >
> > As you know I am doing regular thrash tests and I am willing to do
> > this further. I would hate to see a customer go down because his
> > machine becomes unusable. IMHO we should try to fix this during 2.4.
>
> Agreed. Also, we don't have to have the thrashing control
> be too friendly, as long as it is effective and simple ;)

Here's an update. I never lost control of the machine, so after about 24
hours I decided to try to fix it without the use of the Big Red
Switch. There were still > 1000 connections showing, and pstools were
unresponsive, so I did:

ls /proc > killscript
added "kill -9" to the beginning and "\" to the end of each line,
ran it as the database user. It worked pretty well. After about 5
minutes it killed all of the oracle processes and the machine appeared to
have returned to normal. I've since installed Oracle 81610 and everything
looks good.

Matthew