Re: Poll and OSS API

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 09:50:27 EST

Thomas Sailer wrote:

> The OSS API (http://www.opensound.com/pguide/oss.pdf, page 102ff)
> specifies that a select _with the sounddriver's filedescriptor
> set in the read mask_ should start the recording.
>
> Implementing this is currently not possible, as the driver does
> not get to know whether the application had the filedescriptor
> set in the select call. Similarily for poll, the driver does not
> get the caller's events.

Well, it's only a problem for full duplex :) If you are write-only in
poll(), read doesn't apply. Read-only in poll(), and you start DMA.
For full duplex... my Via driver starts DMA'ing. That was my
interpretation of the spec.

> I don't think this is all that important though, because
> it's that way for more than a year and the first complaint
> reached me yesterday.

What was the complaint?

FWIW I highly recommend Rui Sousa's oss-test stuff. Check out the
"emu10k1" module from Creative's CVS server, and look in the
emu10k1/utils/oss-test directory.

Regards,

        Jeff

Creative CVS info:
export
CVSROOT=:pserver:cvsguest@opensource.creative.com:/usr/local/cvsroot
echo note - password is 'cvsguest'

--
Jeff Garzik             | Dinner is ready when
Building 1024           | the smoke alarm goes off.