Re: screensaver locks up 2.4.0-test10-pre7 hard

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 17:17:25 EST

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:43:16 -0500,
Skip Collins <bernard.collins@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>Pentium 3, 256Mb RAM, kernel 2.4.0-test10-pre7 (as well as 2.4.0-test9).
>I installed RH7, compiled the latest development kernels (using kgcc, as
>required with RH7). After the "greynetic" screensaver (installed with
>RH7) runs for a few minutes, my box freezes up hard.

Try the kernel debugging patch[1], select NMI oopser for uniprocessor
if your box is UP and reproduce the problem. The UP NMI oopser should
drop into kdb after 5 seconds and you can use the bt command to find
out where your system is hanging. You will have to compile for a
serial console[2] and run a null modem to a second machine to get into
kdb, kdb requires a text or serial console and is not usable under X.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have any problems with kdb.

[1] ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/ix86. Patches for test9
    and earlier are in the old directory.
[2] linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt