Re: system call handling

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 07:44:03 EST

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 mdaljeet@in.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> By looking into the structure of GDT as used by linux kernel(file
> include/asm/desc.c, kernel ver 2.4), it appears as if linux kernel does not
> use the "call gate descriptors" for system call handling. Is this correct?

You could use a call-gate to get from one priv level to another but
Linux uses a software trap (int 0x80). It provides good locality
of the kernel entry code which helps keep caches warm. If you used
call-gates, their entry points would be scattered all over kernel
space. Further, you'd have a lot of them (as many as there are
kernel functions).

If you designed it with just one call-gate, with one entry point,
you would have exactly what we have now except you would execute
a `call CALL_GATE` instead of `int 0x80`. This turns out to be
6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another when it comes to performance.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.17 on an i686 machine (801.18 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.