Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 13:34:55 EST

> context switches. profiling Ring 0 Linux vs. NetWare will give me an
> excellent idea of where
> the optimizations will need to be inserted. A straight MARS-NWE port to
> kernel would just
> happen, since we would be able to just load in kernel space and run it
> with no code
> changes.

There are one bunch of people running Linux on a flat memory space with no
protection although their goal was to make Linux run on mmuless embedded
hardware.

See www.uclinux.org; the uclinux guys started a 2.4 port recently. Basically
the idea is to have a mm-nommu/ directory which implements a mostly compatible
replacement for the mm layer (obviously stuff like mmap dont work without an
mmu and fork is odd), and a set of binary loaders to load flat binaries with
relocations.

That I think is the project that overlaps ..