Re: bind() - Old/Current behaviour - Change?

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 12:50:29 EST

I was thinking about this problem late last week and would like to throw
out a off-the-wall proposal.

for a dedicated server (no end-user logins) how about making a kernel
compile option that removes the 'only root can bind to ports <1024' limit?

this would allow programs that now need to run as root to bind the port to
just run as a normal user from the start.

comments?

David Lang