Re: Kernel 2.2.17 with RedHat 7 Problem !

From: J . A . Magallon (jamagallon@able.es)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 17:15:08 EST

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:43:30 Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Due to bugs in the Linux kernel, it may only be compiled by certain versions
> of GCC. GCC 2.7.2 or EGCS 1.1.2 are only supported compilers
> (linux/Documentation/Changes).

"Bugs" in the kernel are related with things like supposing that the compilers
makes things (such as alignment or padding in structs) in certain way, that
could be done in any other way, but are done 'that' way in gcc.

> Unfortunately, 2.7.2 and EGCS 1.1.2 are really crappy C++ compilers so many
> distributions are beginning to ship GCC 2.95 and later. Those distributions
> typically include an alternative gcc for compiling the kernel. RedHat has
> kgcc, and you should compile the kernel with that.

I am now compiling my 2.2.18-pre kernels with gcc-2.95 and work fine. It is
2.96 what is broken.

> You might want to take this opportunity to rethink your decision to 'upgrade'
> your distributions kernel. Most distributions (including RedHat) ship
> patched kernels that include features and fixes not in the Linus kernels
> in order to better fit their users needs. If you install 2.2.17, you will
> lose: AGP support, USB support, greatly improved raid and NFS, and many other
> things.
>
> Any bug fixes that are in 2.2.17 have probably already been applied to your
> stock kernel.
>
> (Alan has a 2.2.18pre that has most of these things included)

That should not be done that way. A 2.2.17 kernel is a 2.2.17. If you want
AGP, or USB, build a kernel and name it 2.2.18-pre17 and offer it in your
distro with that name. So users can know they are installing 2.2.18-pre, and
not 2.2.17.

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta                          mailto:jamagallon@able.es