Re: Which kernel?

From: Miles Lane (miles@speakeasy.org)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 12:29:02 EST

Paul King wrote:

> I think I may have found a bug in the kernel, and wish to verify this by
> testing this with the "latest" kernel. In order that I make a valid bug
> report, which kernel would be considered to be good for testing on? Is it the
> latest *stable* version (now 2.2.17, I believe); or is it one of the 2.4.*
> test kernels (now 2.4.test9)? Which one would a bug report be taken seriously?

All bugs are taken seriously, regardless of whether the kernel
is showing up in the stable or development kernel series.
Patches specific to the 2.2 series kernel get merged into
the stable series code base be Alan Cox. Patches to the
development tree get merged by Linus Torvalds. You can raise
problems that may be bugs on this mailing list. If it turns
out to be a real and significant bug, when the patch is
developed, the kernel maintainer will add it to the appropriate
kernel source tree.

I imagine that the 2.2 series will be maintained for quite a
while after 2.4 is released. Though, at some point, the 2.4
kernel series will become the one used by most distributions.

        Miles