Re: IDE disk slow? There's help...

From: Jordan (ledzep37@home.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 02:37:18 EST

Here is what I can acheive using an IBM DeskStar 75 Gig 7200 RPM UDMA
100 (controller only does UDMA 66) using linux-2.4.0-test10-pre3 and 3.6
drivers for my VIA vt82c596b (I believe they are not official yet but
were released as a test package by email around October 6th on this
email list), here is the output of hdparm -Tt /dev/hda on my machine:

4 root@ledzep /var/log > hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.91 seconds =140.66 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.32 seconds = 27.59 MB/sec
5 root@ledzep /var/log >

Which blows away the U/W SCSI hard drive I had in my last machine!

Jordan Breeding