Re: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 00:20:35 EST

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Roger Larsson wrote:

> Is it legal/good practice to unmap the file after closing it?
Yes.

> (Since the sharing needs the fd to mmap it)

It doesn't. Mapping needs struct file * and it doesn't care about
fd. mmap() takes a reference to struct file by fd you've passed and after
that we can forget about descriptors - vma_struct holds a reference to
file and that's it.

> Successful unlinking a file should probably free pages directly to
> free list - might be worth optimizing for.

_Definitely_ no. Hell, unlink() doesn't mean that anything happens with
data - unlink an opened file and if that affects the read/write/lseek
you've found a bug. And mapping is equivalent to having opened descriptors
in that respect.