2.2.16 killing innocent processes

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:46:08 EST

Hi,

I maintain a small site with a couple of linux boxes that run 2.2.16 and
cfengine 1.5.4. Recently, I changed the configuration and ever since,
three of the machines randomly have Postfix' smtp process killed by
SIGSEGV. The problem only shows up when cfengine is active.

My kernels have ReiserFS 3.5.22, Andre's 2.2.16 IDE patches, NFS v3
(server + client, not used by cfengine), DC390 v2.0e, the openwall
security patch with low feature set (SECURE_STACK, SECURE_STACK_SMART,
SECURE_RLIMIT_NPROC).

Are there any race conditions as to heavy network load (that cfengine
attracts) and many threads (that cfengine spawns)? Is there anything
related to RLIMIT_NPROC (though I don't see why that would send SIGSEGV
rather than SIGKILL)?

--
Matthias Andree