RE: bind() allowed to non-local addresses

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 13:10:54 EST

> Due ot this and other reasons I'm restoring the 2.2.x behavior by
> default, but adding a sysctl so that systems using dynamic addressing
> may elect to get the different bind() behavior.
>
> Later,
> David S. Miller
> davem@redhat.com

        If a system uses dynamic addressing, binding to an IP that wasn't currently
available would be useless, since the odds are that this address would never
ever be available locally. In fact, if a machine had dynamic addressing, any
code that bound to a specific local IP would never be able to be connected
to once that IP was lost.

        It is only machines that have static IPs that might not currently be usable
that would benefit from being able to bind to an address that wasn't
currently local. In this case, the IP may return to the machine in the
future.

        DS