Re: bind() allowed to non-local addresses

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 11:18:35 EST

   Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:18:34 +0200
   From: Felix von Leitner <leitner@convergence.de>

   There once was a socket file system which solved exactly this
   problem in a nice and obvious way. If you wanted to allow user joe
   to bind to port 80, you just do "chown joe /socks/80".

I do not see how this would solve the problem at hand.

We don't know what the socket will be ahead of time, nor what port
number it will want to use, and what we want to control is what
semantics bind() gets when called on that socket. It has nothing to
do with specific port numbers, it has to do with BSD socket API
assumptions held by some applications/libraries and not others.

Another point I want to make, is that by definition Java servers will
not work on systems using dyanmic IP addressing. This cannot be
fixed, because it is a limitation implanted by creators of JRE
conformance tests.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com