Re: test10-pre3

From: Markus Pfeiffer (profmakx@profmakx.de)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 06:09:34 EST

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> >> Huh? IV == 4. XV == 15.
> >
> >> I = 1, V = 5, X = 10, L = 50, C = 100, D = 500, M = 1000...
>
> It's RNCD: Roman Numeral Coded Decimal. The new standard for
> information interchange. A new proprietary feature of Intel
> CPU's that will bring new high performance web sites to the reach
> of the masses! Now you can access these special custom websites
> only if you have a real Intel CPU! That is because other CPU's
> >from AMD, etc.. do not yet have the high technological edge of
> "Roman Numeral Technology Extensions(TM)" (RMTE).
>
> Rumor mill has it though that AMD refuses to pay Intel royalties
> for this new technology and is coming out with their own version
> called RM-NOW! (TM) which does everything Intel's does, but
> faster, and with less silicon and heat dissipation.
>
> Just beware of the CPU Mhz ratings on these new processors. They
> are given in roman numerals.

Intel marketing (c)(r)tm has said that its not Pentium IV but Pentium 4
(officially) ...
I bet one can find numeral puns everywhere ... (look at kernel ...)
My suspicion is that the Pentium 4 will be Intels latest IA32 Processor
familiy (or at least should be if there wasnt this AMD thing (<- note
humor, please)
And I think its not too bad. perhaps they put all their clever heads
into IA64 Processor department and IA32 only got beginners ... :-)

cheers Markus