quick questions: kernel stack size and call gates

From: Chris Swiedler (chris.swiedler@sevista.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:04:43 EST

1. Does Linux use call gates (as specified in the Intel SDK vol.3) when a
user process makes a system call? From what I understand, call-gates let a
ring-3 process execute ring-0 code, which sounds exactly like a system call.
I've found all of the actual system call functions (sys_ni etc.) in sys.c,
but where is the code which userland calls to transfer to "kernel mode" and
execute a particular syscall?

2. I've often heard that the kernel stack size is set small (4 or 8k?). Is
this done by limiting the size of the stack segment itself for the kernel?
Where is the code which sets up the limit?

tia
chris