Request for info on proc system update frequency

From: John Kacur (jkacur@home.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 23:31:24 EST

I'm trying to understand how the proc file system works. In particular
I'd like to know more about the algorithm by which the information is
updated and how frequently. (Could it be too old for some purposes by
the time it is read?)

I'm aware of the excellent proc.txt document in
Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt
and I know that the bulk of the source code is in fs/proc, but I would
appreciate it if someone with more kernel knowledge than myself could
point out which file, or where in the source code I should read to
understand how often the information in the proc file system is updated.

The reason I'm trying to understand this, is that I want to profile
processes (aka threads) for our jit compiler.

Thanks in advance

John Kacur
jkacur@home.com
jekacur@ca.ibm.com