Re: failure to blank CDRWs (2.2.18pre15 smp ide-scsi hp7100i)

From: Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 18:14:24 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

<snip>

> Sg has an ioctl called SG_SET_TRANSFORM which is only
> relevant to the ide-scsi driver. As far as I know, no
> applications use it. Still it is not clear why Mark's
> system would work on a UP machine but fail on a SMP box.

Hi Douglas, Jörg, all,

<Background for Jörg: my hp7100i fails to blank cdrw's with cdrecord
1.8.1. A ricoh 9060 on a machine running identical kernel build /
cdrecord binary works fine>

I just finished compiling cdrecord-1.8.1 with debug enabled. The two
attached log files are from the hp7100i / smp / 2.2.18pre15, and the
ricoh 9060 / up /2.2.18pre15. Exact same cdrw media.

# ./cdrecord -debug dev=1,0,0 blank=all 2>&1 | tee log.(hp7100|ricoh)

I should note that the ricoh when blanking took a whole 5-6 seconds,
so it didn't blank the whole disk. I guess it's being 'clever' and
knew the disk was blank, and just 'made sure'.

I just finished writing a 650Mb iso to the cdrw in question, so it
does appear to still be okay.

Looking at the traces and where they diverge it does appear to be
shortly after cdrecord attempts to read ATIP data - which the Ricoh
supports, and the HP7100i doesn't. I'm guessing that it's something
in cdrecord making a bad assumption if ATIP isn't available, though
I'll have to look further into this.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time looking at this so far. It's
appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark