[2.4.0-test10-pre3] UART401 problem causes Oops.

From: Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:21:21 EST

I recently compiled 2.4.0-test10-pre3, and was torture-testing
it...I hadnt played any MIDI files in a while, so while one
was playing (on my waveblaster GM daughterboard, thru UART401),
the gave an Oops.

After doing some detective work, I found that the culprit was a
small daemon I had running that does a "double-rmmod -a" every
X seconds. It was rmmod'ing the uart401 module while it was
in use. I confirmed that while the MIDI file was playing, the
lsmod usage count was zero, and I could manually remove it.
(causing an instant oops)

It looks like the UART401 (this is a Sound Blaster 16 ISA non-PnP
card) module is not marking itself used while it's being accessed.

--
Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com