Re: failure to blank CDRWs (2.2.18pre15 smp ide-scsi hp7100i)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 12:51:09 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > >Its a message from the drive politely requesting cd-record to talk valid
> > >commands. But as ide-scsi touches some commands (remapping old ones that are
> > >not supported on ATAPI) its possible to be kernel
> >
> > Umm, doesn't cdrecord know how to address IDE devices directly?
>
> IDE cd burners talk ATAPI. ATAPI is just a scsi variant. SCSI won the battle
> at the protocol level
>
> IDE ATAPI is SCSI protocol subset
> SCSI bus is SCSI protocol
> USB mass storage is SCSI protocol subset
> Fibre channel is SCSI protocol
>
> etc

Yes but there is a way to do this directly now, the question is can the
user-space apps change to go both ways. We will be able to do direct rw
to dvd-ram soon (patch to be released). Also with the new drop and burn
standard that is in the works, the burning engin will be in the device and
remove the burden of support form the OS.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy