Netcard: RTL8139B Problems (Hangs)

From: kernel@starlight.noc
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 10:03:44 EST

Scenario:

  o Linux 2.2.16 (older driver) & Linux 2.4.0-test9 (8139too-fast)
  o Two machines
  o Netcards with RTL8139B chipsets
  o Both hang after seemingly random delays / random amounts of net activity
  o One seems to get a shitload of packet errors if left for a few days and
    used again.
  o Machines have ATI Rage 128 Chipsets for Graphics cards.

Misc:

  o If I use w3m all day and don't overdo net activity too much, machine
    will stay stable, if I use netscape and look at high graphic (say high
    bandwidth) sites, *bang* it reboots.

  o If I transfer stuff directly across the network (at 100meg, HD) it
    will crash almost instantaneously.

  o I have tried all manner of tests to monitor and log net transfer to see
    when the actual hang takes place, but haven't been able to "benchmark"
    it.

  o Seems to be rougly after 6.6megs.. found this out by doing,

    { while true; sync; done } &
    nc otherbox chargen > bigfile

    After reboot, du -h bigfile,

    6.6M bigfile (or something similar)