Re: [Criticism]C++ Flamewar

From: Ian S. Nelson (ian.nelson@echostar.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 09:15:47 EST

Mark Salisbury wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > > On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Generic Kernel Geek wrote:
> > >
> > > C++ sucks for kernel dev, because I say it does.
>
> the original-original post was somebody asking why not make the kernel headers
> C++ friendly.
>
> all he wanted was the c++ reserved words removed from / kept out of the headers.

IMO, that's just good software engineering to remove that kind of stuff.

> that way, if they for some reason want to write, or maybe proto a MODULE in c++
> they could. no reference to putting C++ in the kernel, just writing a module
> in it. to me this means that the MODULE would have to be linked w/ libg++
> _NOT_ the kernel.
>
> only his module and its users and would have to pay this price.
>
> no need for a flame war, all that needed to be said was "sorry, we dont
> currently support it and I have too much work already, but if you want to
> develop a patch..."
>
> instead this turned into a "you suck for even thinking it" flamewar.
>
> p.s. there are lots of examples of kernels written mainly in c++ that work
> quite nicely, and most of them are LESS than 7 years old. see the OSF's MK++
> (a C++ black box Mach re-implementation), ECOS, BEOS (all except the core of
> the kernel) etc etc...

I've been starting to think that this is almost a gauntlet that is being thrown
down. The topic comes up from time to time and there is always a zeolous repsonse,
not the "you're an idiot, read the archives" response. If you say something is
stupid and that it can't do it or it shouldn't be done enough times your will
always find someone stupid enough to do that hard work and do it for you.

Technical issues aside, I think it would be cool (not always practical or
technically good, but cool) to be able to simply subclass a device driver and add a
method or two and have a working driver.

Ian