Re: [Criticism] On the discussion about C++ modules

From: Eray Ozkural (erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 05:57:09 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Not meant to offend, but it's obvious you are not grasping hardware
> optimization issues relative to kernel development and performance. I
> would recommend getting your hands on a bus analyzer, and testing out
> some of your theories, and explore for yourself relative to these issues
> with some hard numbers.
>
> :-)

In the days we coded demos in assembly, we didn't used to need
bus analyzers. I saw each unit flood with current as I coded. :)

Anyway, kernel code is not different from any other code. It is
profiled and analyzed just the same way. Software engineers
don't analyze the code that way, you just do time and space
complexity analysis. For high performance applications, you can
do an analysis that takes into account memory fetches, etc. Then, you
perform an empirical analysis _after_ theoretical measures have
been taken (ie, you have done a correct design regarding efficiency)
This usually corresponds to profiling using features of compiler
and your program. For realtime tasks, it's more difficult to do
a right analysis.

You still sound like a physicist or an EE person. :) Get a copy
of "The Art of Computer Programming". :)

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr