Re: ide-scsi + /dev/dsp == solid lockup

From: Leigh Orf (orf@mailbag.com)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 16:14:41 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

| > I never get this problem by only burning a CD or only
| > playing music through /dev/dsp, both have to be occuring
| > simultaneously for this to happen, and those simultaneous
| > events appear to be completely sufficien= t for the lockup
| > to occur. I can sometimes get away with playing music
|
| Sounds like hardware problems. What you are saying it seems
| is that having two bus masters running at once crashes your
| motherboard ?
|
| > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 430TX - 82439TX MTXC
| > (rev 01)
|
| Ahah, that would fit. Intel Triton. Turn off peer
| concurrency and streaming in the BIOS if you can.
|
| Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I got into my bios setup and couldn't find
any switch which had the words 'concurrency' or 'streaming' in it. I
believe my chipset's bios or CMOS setup or whatever is one level down
from one which can tweak these parameters. I don't think I have the
capability to turn off concurrency or streaming. A listing of what
options I do have when in my bios is linked below. In my subsequet
investigating I got lost in the strange world of flash bios upgrades and
after much staring at the screen believe any upgrades would not give me
the menu options I need, just fix the bugs in the current bios and keep
the same menu options. (sorry if I am misusing words, am not a hardware
guy). I did find a page somewhere which described a setup which did have
concurrency and streaming options to turn on and off, but it wasn't for
my chipset.

I did dig up a post by Frank de Lange who said he had a 'fix' for the
exact same problem I am having. His solution can be found here:

http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week02/0367.html

I tried what he did, adding the line with the + in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/pci/quirks.c, but changing the second argument to
PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_82430 since that describes my board:

>From his post (a link to the full patch is above):

> { PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIA_82C586_0, quirk_isa_dma_hangs, 0x00 },
> { PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA, PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIA_82C596_0, quirk_isa_dma_hangs, 0x00 },
> + { PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL, PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_82437, quirk_isa_dma_hangs, 0x00 },
> };

I rebuilt the kernel, and it still locked up faithfully as before under
the same conditions.

Can anyone help? I seem to be very close to finding a solution but not
quite there yet.

For a list of what options I have in my BIOS, see

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.award.com.tw/DOCS/Internet/Docs/i82430tx.htm+82430TX&hl=en

It's a google cache, but at least it's HTML. A PDF file of the same can
be found at

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/430tx/tx97-x/tx97x-300.pdf

The official page of my mobo is at

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/motherboard/pentium/tx97-x/index.html

Thanks for any help,

Leigh Orf <orf@mailbag.com>