Re: 2.2 -> 2.4 transition questions

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 02:33:22 EST

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:09:57 -0400 (EDT),
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@opensourceadvocate.org> wrote:
>Will the following work with 2.2.17 as well?
>
>o modutils 2.3.15 # insmod -V
>
>I'm particularly concerned with the modutils 2.3.15. During the
>2.0.x -> 2.2.x transition I was not able to use the same modutils
>with both kernels

I dual boot 2.2 and 2.4 kernels using current modutils without any
problems, that is how I test my modutils changes. You should even be
able to boot 2.0 kernels with modutils 2.3.18, as long as modutils was
configured with --enable-compat-2-0. Systems using libc5.0 and need
--enable-use-syscall in modutils, but that is automatically detected by
modutils >= 2.3.15.

>William T Wilson <fluffy@snurgle.org> wrote
>Some people get success with the old kernel and the new modutils, others
>find that it does not work. Most find that it does not work.

Details please. I have no outstanding bug reports on lack of backwards
compatibility in modutils.