2.2.17 memory bug?

From: Hacksaw (hacksaw@hacksaw.org)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 10:07:05 EST

I apologize if this is a known issue.

I am running

Linux version 2.2.17 (root@habitrail.home.fools-errant.com) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #2 SMP Sun Oct 8 02:37:43
EDT 2000

On a dual Pentium III with 256M of SDRAM, aix-7xxx, sblive, kingston tulip,
3c905, 3dfx Voodoo3 AGP.

It seems to run out of memory pretty quickly if I have much to do with
netscape, and especially mozilla. This in and of itself is not surprising, I
expect bad things from alphaware.

However, if I quit the processes, I don't seem to get the memory back.

I run two X servers on virtual consoles, each take up about 65M - 70M. I am
led to understand that part of this is the memory mapping from the video card,
which has 16M. Then the netscapes take up between 30 and 40M. If I run
mozilla, I end up with 4 processes claiming to have 23M a piece. I am guessing
this is really shared memory threads, or at least I hope so.

If I quit all of them, bag mozilla, bag netscapes, bag the X servers, my
memory foot print drops to about 192M from 262M. So I stop swapping.

It never gets down near to the 95M or so of the regular boot footprint, yet
the other processes don't seem to claiming any more memory.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. I am interested in
a very stable kernel, as this is a mailhost and web server.

Thanks folks.
The machine boot