Re: floppy on alpha

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 07:29:14 EST

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Guest section DW wrote:

> the command openflop:
> #include <fcntl.h>
> main(){
> int fd = open("/dev/fd0", O_RDONLY);
> pause();
> }

sh -c 'kill -SIGSTOP $$' </dev/fd0 &

> each time after inserting a floppy, and to kill it
> before taking the floppy out again.
> (For me reading a floppy takes 72.5 seconds each time
> without this command, and 0.1 sec the second time
> with this command.)
>
> Why was it changed? I think it was a very bad move.
> The main reason was that Alexander Viro didnt see
> how to retain guaranteed correctness without it.

Yes. If you see how to do it - patches are welcome. One of the possible
ways is to create a structure when you register driver, remove it upon
rmmod, replace ->b_dev and friends with pointers to that structure and
make the removal of this beast invalidate the buffers. 2.5 fodder, unless
you can push that sort of changes past Linus right now. And I _really_
doubt it - requires changing all drivers and you know the chances to
minimize the patch size by clever (ab)use of preprocessor.