Re: A patch to loop.c for better cryption support

From: Ian Stirling (root@mauve.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 21:50:41 EST

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:19:49AM +0000, Ingo Rohloff wrote:
<snip>
> 2.4 has already broken backwards compatibility to 2.2 (IV changed
> from disk absolute to relative). When you change it now (before 2.4.0)
> it is relatively painless. I think the change is a good idea.

I've been away from the list for a while, so this has probably been
discussed.
But, it seems to me that being able to have a different IV for
each filesystem would be a good thing, but having it depend on something
as volatile as sector of the disk, seems bad.
What about the first block of the underlying file holding an IV?

Then, if a loopback mount attempt finds a valid IV block at the
start (heavily CRC'd or similar, so the likelyhood of it ever
finding false magic is negligable (Say 10^-50)) it mounts
the filesystem, using the IV found.

Please tell me where the glaring error is :)