semantics past EOF for MAP_PRIVATE and MAP_SHARED...

From: Chris Quinn (cq@htec.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 17:27:22 EST

There's a chunky comment near the beginning of filemap_nopage() that after a test and then following the source seems to me to be untrue:

        /*
         * Semantics for shared and private memory areas are different
         * past the end of the file. A shared mapping past the last page
         * of the file is an error and results in a SIGBUS, while a
         * private mapping just maps in a zero page.
         */

I tried to read past on a MAP_PRIVATE and got a sigbus and the source seems to suggest no differentiation from MAP_SHARED in this respect.

What are the `correct' semantics?

        Chris Q.