Re: Weird IP options

From: davej@suse.de
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 14:35:00 EST

sebastien.bernard@cegetel.fr (BERNARD Sebastien) wrote..

> Near the test3-4 kernel, I was not able to reach www.linuxtoday.com.
> After some debug, I find that is because my linux box is emitting syn
> packet with some really strange options (description of packet follows).
> Can anyone tell me if this behaviour is normal or not ?
> Here is the dialog from linuxtoday.
>
> 18:55:09.979659 eth0 > x.x.x.5.45762 > 63.236.72.248.www: S [ECN-Echo,CWR]

ECN. RFC2481
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn to switch this off.

This is becoming an almost weekly asked question, you can find out
more about it by reading..

 http://lwn.net/2000/0914/kernel.php3
 http://lwn.net/2000/1005/kernel.php3

It may be an idea that if you intend to follow development kernels
and can't handle the volume of the list, you should at least follow
kernel news sites like the above, or kernel-traffic to at least
find out what you are letting yourself in for.

This will prevent the same questions getting repeatedly asked,
and may save you a lot of headaches.

regards,

Dave.