Re: (OT -- Partition Magic for Linux?) Re: Newer motherboards / CPU's / hardware with Linux

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 06:05:58 EST

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 02:08:55AM -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
> Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > They may be a way to test and create drive profiles that are stored and
> > reloaded to the kernel that will add the missing supercharge on Andrea's
> > elevator. Basically creating a physical LBA sector profile.
> >
> > Trust that this will be painful to create because this is the secret of
> > the industry and I can not get access to it for Linux, even under
> > full-disclosure NDA's.
>
> Is this the kind of information required to build an application
> like Partition Magic? It sure would be nice to have a native
> version of Partition Magic or an Open Source work-alike.
> Is anyone aware of a project to implement such an Open Source
> alternative?

You mean like gpart?

laotzu:~# dpkg -s gpart
Package: gpart
 Gpart is a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a
 PC-type disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is
 damaged, incorrect or deleted.
 .
 It is also good at finding and listing the types, locations, and
 sizes of inadvertently-deleted partitions, both primary and logical.
 It gives you the information you need to manually re-create them
 (using fdisk, cfdisk, sfdisk, etc.).
 .
 The guessed table can also be written to a file or (if you firmly
 believe the guessed table is entirely correct) directly to a disk
 device.
 .
 Supported (guessable) filesystem or partition types:
 .
      DOS/Windows FAT (FAT 12/16/32)
      Linux ext2
      Linux swap partitions versions 0 and 1 (Linux >= v2.2.X)
      OS/2 HPFS
      Windows NTFS
      *BSD disklabels
      Solaris/x86 disklabels
      Minix FS
      Reiser FS
      LVM physical volumes
 .
 Other types may be added relatively easily, as separately compiled modules.

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </