Re: Newer motherboards / CPU's / hardware with Linux

From: Andre Tomt (tripwire@tomt.net)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 06:04:51 EST

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
<huge snip>
> Recall that I told you that there is a physical limit of getting stuff off
> the drives. The platter density is to low and the rpm's are to slow to
> get there yet. Remember it took second genration ATA66 drives to fill
> the ATA33 bandwidth.

Yes, you keep telling me that, but one of us seems to have lost
something on the way.

I get 20-25mB/s on UDMA33, using a 7200RPM IBM ATA66 drive. This is still
lower than the spec for UDMA33, if we're not considering overhead. It is
possible. The test was done in Windows NT4, using a real file (600mB),
with VIA's own busmaster drivers. In Linux, the results are somewhat
lower, even with -march=i686 CFLAGS on the kernel, and VIA chipset
drivers. Windows NT even got away with lower CPU usage/overhead.

MS's default drivers on the other hand, where slow, even in UDMA33/66
mode. Same disk performs almost the same on ATA66, on a newer motherboard
and a faster CPU.

Where you got the 42 and 100mB/s from is beyond me. I have never claimed
anything above the specs, yet.

We are way off topic now :-) Now lets stop this dogfight before it gets
messy. It's not really belonging on this list anyhow.

--
Greets,
Andre Tomt