Re: Bonnie++ 1.00d trigger's corruption

From: Russell Coker (russell@coker.com.au)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 13:02:31 EST

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, ZINKEVICIUS,MATT (HP-Loveland,ex1) wrote:
>Hi,
>We tried using your Bonnie++ benchmark program and haven't had a succesfull
>run yet. Both ext2 and reiserfs (3.6.17) become corrupted during the
>benchmark run. When using ext2, we also get a kernel oops (Unable to handle
>kernel paging request at virtual address 0f0f0f0f0f. We are using linux
>2.4.0-test8. I know it's not your tools fault but I thought maybe someone
>already reported something similar?
>
>The bonnie++ command we've been issuing:
>% bonnie -u 1000:1000 -r 512 -d /mnt/volume1
>
>PS: There are no other programs (samba, nfs, etc) running that are using
>this volume.

That could be either a hardware or a kernel issue. The address 0f0f0f0f may
mean something to the people on the linux-kernel mailing list, I suggest that
you post a message there giving all possible details of the crash including
the output of "ksymoops". Here is the email address:

<linux-kernel@vger.redhat.com>

I have done extensive bonnie++ runs on the test8 kernel without any problems,
which doesn't mean it's not a kernel bug (maybe means that it's a bug that's
difficult to track down).

Can you reproduce the results on another machine?